Skip to main content

Linux Mint Debian Edition Review : How Fast and Stable Is Debian Desktop?







When I first came into Linux world, the first distro I tried is Kubuntu (I got it from my friend). In that moment, I was so impressed but later little upset by its policy to not includes multimedia codecs as default. Worst, I had no Internet connection and so I was absolutely blind.


Because of my eager to explore “another operating system”, I chose to convert all my mp3 music collection into oggs. I happily worked hard to explore KDE 3.5x desktop but not long time later I was bored and rapidly sought another better distro and then I found Mandriva (version 2006 at that moment). With multimedia codecs included as default, and then I immediately thought “This is the one”.


Day by day passed, I was enjoying worked with Mandriva Linux but then I found Ubuntu (version 6.06 LTS) and I suddenly I was so amazed by its GNOME desktop. I thought “What is it? It looks so different. It has no Windows taste.. It is awesome...” So my adventure with Ubuntu began and from that moment I have became Ubuntu user. I go to Internet Cafe to Google so many howtos to use Linux desktop (particularly GNOME desktop and Ubuntu) and not long time later I got the point of using Linux desktop.


Evolution happens and Linux desktop has grown so rapid. And today, we have GNOME 3, KDE 4, LXDE and XFCE 4.8.x. Controversies born and people got so many confusing choice in Linux desktop and distro. I still hold Ubuntu as my default operating system and don't have any other explorations with other Linux distros. But recently, I got a little sensitive issue about Ubuntu and it upstream, Debian. Some people said that Ubuntu has became to far from its upstream, in packaging and in desktop customization. The result is, though Ubuntu that become “ultimate” desktop, it brings a side negative effect that Ubuntu has became more heavy from “Pure” or “Vanilla” Debian desktop. Logically, pure Debian desktop is lighter than Ubuntu. But is that true? Lets we see.


As we know, Debian has three branches : (1) Stable, (2) Testing and (3) Unstable. Stable, as shown in its name, is the main tree, the main release. It provides stability, but less up-to-date (or even not up-to-date, compared to another Linux distro life cycle). It has no certain release date in its early releases. But, since Debian 6 (Squeeze), its developer team decided to set the stable release cycle to every 2 years once.


Testing, is a development branch of the next Debian stable release. It has more new and updated packages and softwares, but “less” stable than the stable. Unstable, is the “cutting-edge” or “bleeding edge” branch. It has no release date, because it is a place where developers put their newest project into Debian repository. Then, every package in unstable repository, will be tested by Debian developers and then passed to Testing repository.


Because of its dynamics, I than decided to choose Debian testing to be tried. Because of it has no LiveCD version of Debian testing, I need to use a distro that based on it, and my choice is given to Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). It uses Debian Testing as based and in its homepage, claimed as “more reactive than Ubuntu”.


I chose LMDE 201109 and this is the result :

  1. Installer

    Installer is good, though it has no complete choice in partitioning like in Ubiquity (Ubuntu installer). If we have two or more harddisks, we must choose one of them, and then we must choose one partition to become /root partition. We could also mount another partition but only in the same harddisk we chose.

    Installation took no long time to be completed. It is absolutely great compared to Ubuntu instalation. We have to wait about more than 20 minutes to install Ubuntu, and even in older computers, it could be more than 30 minutes.

  2. Desktop

    LMDE 201109 brings GNOME 2.30.2 as its default desktop. It is great for us who still deeply in love with old school GNOME 2 desktop (like me). I love so much with this desktop.

    Strangely, it is mixed with some stuffs taken from GNOME 3 project, such as : Gnome Terminal and Gnome System Monitor.

  3. Memory Consumtion

    I look at Gnome System Monitor and it runs slightly more light than Ubuntu.


Troubles :

  1. Partition Management

    Not like Ubuntu, LMDE is unable to automaticaly mount another FAT or NTFS partition. If we didn't mount them at the installation, we will be asked to give root authority in every time we want to mount our FAT or NTFS partitions. It is ultimately different compared to Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, “everything” is automatic.

  2. Stability

    I got very annoying trouble with GIMP. It often crashed when I made image editing with it. It is closed suddenly, again and again. I love GIMP and because of this trouble, I was of course upset.


Conclusion :

Speed issue between Ubuntu and “pure” Debian, for me, is not really a reality in real. Debian is just slightly more light than Ubuntu, but not extreme fast. About stability issue, it is another particular issue. An Ubuntu bug, is also a Debian bug. Though, of course, sometimes, it is a particular Ubuntu bug and didn't occur in Debian (like in Ubuntu Natty desktop, I found my desktop logout suddenly if I use Classic Desktop).


Ubuntu is made as a polished and easy to use Debian. The choice is ours, both of Ubuntu and Debian are Debian with its different goals and visions.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mantep postingnya masbro, saya baru seminggu ini pake LMDE, sejauh ini lancar dan memang terasa sedikit lebih cepet dari Ubuntu. Salam.
Anonymous said…
gimana cara disable password prompt ketika mount partisi ntfs di LMDE?

Popular posts from this blog

Q4OS 4.6 "Gemini" Review: A Real Hidden Gem

Distro hopping is a fun adventure. It's a pure joy you can only find in GNU/Linux world. It's a nature you want to escape from what I call 'comfort ecosystem'. You need to play, trying something new even for a few little differences. For a long time I've been using Ubuntu family as my daily driver. The main reason is probably just same as any other Ubuntu user: it's reliable. You can't go wrong with Ubuntu. It works almost in any device, even for the newest one. It is the ultimate Linux distro you can rely on. However, sometimes, you will feel bored. The temptation to flirt with other new distro is unbearable. There are a lot of hot new Linux distros waiting to try.  A Real Hidden Gem I've known this distro for a quite long time. At first, it offered Trinity Desktop as the main desktop, which brings me the sweet memories about KDE3. It is simply fast, stable, almost without any issue, and it is based on Debian. I install it on my old machine and I love t

How To Install Mac OS X Lion Theme On Lubuntu / LXDE

Lubuntu 12.04 with Mac OS X Lion Theme, xcompmgr & cairo-dock [click to enlarge] Mac OS X is the special one in the Desktop market. So many people admire it because of its beauty, safety (yes, it is an UNIX) and its profesional image as “an OS for profesional modern art designer”. Yeah, Mac OS X has beautiful look and I do like its look-n-feel. And so, there are so many theme patcher to make our Microsoft Windows or Linux OS become Mac OS X in the appearance. In Linux Desktop, there are some project specialized in designing theme transformation pack to make our Linux desktop to be looked like Mac OS X. The most popular project probably is Mac4Lin. But, all of those projects was designed only for GNOME or sometimes support XFCE and how about LXDE? Our Star in the current lightweight Linux desktop? (Yes, LXDE is the most light-but-complete Linux desktop for now). Until now, there is no project that officially support LXDE. Basically, LXDE uses gtk (now still stay w

Howto Connect To Windows Share Network (Connect To Server) Easily in PCManFM

In Nautilus 3.4, Nemo, or Caja, there is a very useful menu called "Connect to Server". This menu allow us to connect to a Windows Share network via Samba. If you are using another desktop environment such as LXDE, there aren't such menu, and we need to install third party tool called Gigolo . But apparently, PCManFM (the default file manager of LXDE) already has such function. We could connect to a Windows Share network in PCManFM easily. Here are the simple steps : 1. Open PCManFM and go to adress bar, and type this command : smb://username@server/folder example : smb://staff@192.168.1.69/document then press Enter 2. Once you will be asked to input the Windows Share Network password (if exists), select Remember Forever option. 3. You are connected to Windows Share Network ;)